Tuesday, August 7, 2007

A Memory on Henry Street

I have a very strong memory from when I was a toddler of being sent to the store across the street on our apartment in Berkeley to the co-op (I personally would never send a little tyke alone to the store like that, but, hey, this is now and that was then).

I now find myself back in Berkeley again. Over the years I've been here, I've gone along Henry Street many times, and finally found our old place. The most recent time I had my cell phone with me, with its camera, and took a snap. For those of you who shared that time with me, here's the photo.



The co-op is now an Andronico's, but other than that, things seem about the same. Here's a satellite image of the spot.

By the way, I did this with the new MyMaps feature of Google Maps, which lets me annotate my own personal map and save it. Pretty nice!

1 comment:

vanc said...

Hey David - I remember that too - and the bookstore next door where I sat and read all the Oz books on the floor in the back, munching a giant sized Hershey's chocolate bar as I did so. Must have been quite a few months of this as an after school routine, as I remember it well. I was 8, so you were 6, not quite a toddler, but certainly young to be sent to the store.

However, you were also sent to the store in England, when you were even smaller, because Dad told me this story of you arriving home one day with a crushed bag of bread, having dropped it on your way home and dutifully dodged traffic to pick up every tire-tracked slice. Poor baby. And THAT store was far further than just across the street.