Thursday, August 23, 2007

I come bearing gifts (and cradle)

Well, I'm on the Heathrow Express on my way back to the airport after a very quick but fulfilling, wonderful visit with my little sister, Elizabeth, and her husband Henrik.

Elizabeth is 6 months pregnant, and I brought two huge bags full of goodies for her -- receiving blankets, clothes and more clothes, cloth diapers and woolen diaper wraps, and The Cradle. My Mom gave me this cradle when we had my first child. It was the same cradle I slept in as a kid, and now it is time to pass it on.

This is a wooden cradle with iron framing. We got it into a Huge duffle bag; the other stuff was put into a Very Big Suitcase. Both maximum size and maximum weight. I bought a roller especially for the duffle bag (get this - at SFO they had me pack the roller because security would be concerned I might use it as a weapon).

This all went great, with one hitch. The Barbican Tube station near where Elizabeth lives has three flights of stairs and no elevator. Gads!

But I made it, and the expecting couple were very touched and happy to receive all these gifts. It was wonderful handing this off, and handing off Linda's and my blessings for them and their baby.

No comments: